Monday 25 February 2013

Greetings cards in a hurry - rubber alphabet stamps



I often find myself putting together greetings cards in a rush (Sorry, friends and loved ones). The following post shows an idea for a personal greetings card that is laughably simple and requires little to no artistic flair whatsoever - if you're intimidated by drawing or printmaking then this is for you. The end result is quirky, witty and really simple, but in so many cases the simplest ideas can be the most striking and effective.


Materials:

Rubber alphabet stamps (mine are from Muji)
Ink pad (Hobbycraft)
Blank cards
Baby wipes/damp tissue




The little extra something comes in the form of a multi coloured ink pad - I got this one at Hobbycraft. When I saw it I was immediately tempted by it, as I can never really be bothered with lots of different coloured pads, a bit too faffy for my liking. This is perfect and there is a nice little range of colours. The alphabet stamps were a present from friends several years back, but you can see they came from Muji and are still available in their shops now.



TIP - buy a pair of cheap baby wipes and have one to hand to blot each stamp after you use it. This stops your colours from getting messed up. I got mine in Wilkinsons for under £1. Bless you Wilkinsons, saviour to cheapskate crafters everywhere!

The real beauty in this method of card making is that the creativity and genius lies not in the technique, but the words you choose to put on the card. As well as the obvious 'Happy Birthday' etc, you can put someone's favourite quote from a film, a joke, a poem, a personalised greeting... the list goes on. All the cards you see here are completely personal to the people receiving them. These are cards for three special girlfriends who made my recent stay in London fantastic from start to finish. They're already through the postal system by the time this blog post goes out, so the surprise hasn't been ruined. ;-)

I really like the personal touch, the splash of colour and the classy minimalism of these cards. The materials are easy to get hold of, will last for ages and can be used in so many different ways. This is also ideal for a craft group of any age. I think blokes would like this style of card too, what do you think?


4 comments:

  1. These are great. What a simple idea, but so effective. Love the ink pad too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BABY WIPES! Genius idea, I am forever messing up my ink pads because I'm too lazy to go wash my stamps in the sink! Thanks for that :) Cute cards too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, I'm so glad someone can take something away from this post! Yeah it was a lightbulb moment when I thought of baby wipes. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great blog post - beautiful pictures accentuate everything!

    ReplyDelete